Custom-embroidered logo shirts and apparel by Queensboro

Jul 7, 2011

Conquering Stage Fright

Getting married to someone in the Midwest? Know someone who is? Well, I can sing at their's or your wedding.



Which leads me to my next topic.

Singing in public.

People tend to get scared when it comes to performing in front of a live audience, and understandably so. You're basically in front of a bunch of people listening and watching you, judging and crtiquing your every note and move.

That's Intense.

There are tricks of course.

Be prepared.
Close your eyes (but not too much)
Take a public speaking class.
Pretend everyone is naked (not usually the appropriate route and probably very distracting).
Pretend everyone is your parents (yikes! Great, now I have a ton of mothers telling me I'm doing something wrong).

The above options are great (for the most part), but what helped me was camp. Yes, I said it. Camp. As in day camp during the summer months. You see, we had something in camp called S&S (Skits & Songs), where we were forced to be actors in skits and dancers in choreographed songs.

The first song I ever danced on stage to was Hearts of Gold from the Solid Gold 3 album (linky for album). You can actually see me in this video (linky). At 2:50 into the video was my bunk's performance.

We've gotten better over the years at S&S and I went from camper and dancer to counselor and choreographer. Here, I continued to grow and helped campers overcome their fears of stage fright and learn teamwork. You can see the bunk I choreographed in this video at approx 13:30 minutes in (linky).

Now I no longer do either, for I had accomplished my fear of the spotlight and I act as the videographer and head counselor, helping other counselors assist their campers in overcoming their fears. This video was actually done by me (linky).

The name of the camp in the videos is Camp Achdus of Philadelphia (linky).

I'm actually in the process of redesigning the Camp's website, I just need to find someone affordable to develop and code it to make it work! Below you can see a preview of the new site.


Let me know what you think by leaving a comment! Until next time.

Joke of the day: So I kept wondering why the object in the air was getting bigger and bigger... then it hit me.

No comments:

Advertisements

Step It Up

Followers