Custom-embroidered logo shirts and apparel by Queensboro

Sep 15, 2010

Shalsheles 5 first impressions


When I heard that the group stayed together, despite the fact that Simcha Sussman, whose in my mind, the top vocalist, moved to Eretz Yisrael, I was very pleased. Although, I would have like to have heard Shloime Kaufman as a new member of Shalsheles. That's fine, the album is still great!

Shalsheles still has the same music and they managed to twist it once more to sound new, yet familiar at the same time. The voices are very refreshing and the tunes are spiritually uplifting, unlike most music available today.

I like that they included Aryeh Kunstler into the mix of talented arrangers. I love the arrangements he did on his new album, Our Eyes Are On You. It was a great pick and a terrific way to branch out towards the alternative Jewish music genre, which I hope continues to grow.

My favorite part of this album is the lack of horn instruments. Unlike the majority of Jewish music, Shalsheles stays away from the overbearing noises of horn instruments. People, they are not meant to be abused. If I want to hear horns, I'll go to a wedding, keep my albums and my person listening clear. If you want to throw it on a few songs, fine. But horn instruments are not mean for the whole album. (Of course this is my opinion - the benefit of having a blog :D).

My favorite song as of now surprisingly enough is track 10, Mi She'asah. When I heard the preview, I thought it sounded kind of funky, but in this case, funky is good! I love the harmonies on this song and the different sound it brings to the album. I feel like I would normally hear this type of song on a Lev Tahor album, you know, with Schwebel singing "AHOY" in the background, but it's great to hear it on Shalsheles! The last minute and a half of this song is so cool with the added choir.

So far, I love the whole album, we'll see if some songs start to irk me over time, but right now I have Mi She'asah, Meheira and Ashrei Ish on playback.

This album is sure to be a classic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try not to judge a book by a cover, or rather an album by it's sampler.

When I first heard the sampler, I thought it was ok. So I'll like a couple of songs and the rest will have to grow on me.

I just got my copy in the mail, and I am loving the CD. In my Opinion, the CD itself is much better than the sampler.

Anonymous said...

i agree,the cd is alot better than the sampler..its different than the previous album,,and btw baruch aryeh has by far the best voice on the album,,its different but a very pleasant voice to listen to

Rak Music said...

Strangely I have to agree, the sampler had me worried. Pleasently surprised! Oh, nice to see you back on your site JMderech!

Advertisements

Step It Up

Followers